- Children below 16 years old constitute 41% of Nepal’s population.
- More than 50,000 children die annually in Nepal – malnutrition is the underlying cause in more than 60% of those deaths.
- 31% of children aged 5 to 14 are involved in some sort of child labour.
- Children have contributed to 6% of Nepal’s total domestic production.
- 12,000 Nepali girls are sold in India every year.
- There are 5,000 to 6,000 street children in Nepal; Kathmandu alone has 1,500 to 2,000 of them, according to the estimated data of Child Workers in Nepal Concerned Center (CWIN) in 2010.
- About 95% of street children have an addiction to glue.
“Education for street” is directed to families who live by begging money in the streets. Not only for the children, but also to their parents, who are in the same situation. This project aims to support kids to go to school and their parents to get employed, so that, in a year or two, parents become independent enough to support their own life and family without having to beg.
In our research we found out that many people and organizations have tried to provide education for street children but have been unsuccessful due to lack of support for their parents. The money that the parents alone get in the streets is not enough for the family, so after a while they made the children drop school and go back to begging money.
What have we learned?
- Education for street children can only be possible if parents are also supported.
- Fundraising is essential for this project, as we will be providing education for children and for their parents. To operate this entire work we need funds. Volunteer assistance for raising funds will be mostly appreciated.
- We need information about real story of children and their parents, as in what they need in order to stay home and not in the streets.
- After raising funds and placing kids in schools, we will make plans for the parents according to their skills, what they are good at, what job they can do, so that they get employed and out of poverty.
Outcome of this project:
- Who has not faced situations in which a small kid come towards you, follows you and touches your feet for money? Sometimes if you give money to one, then five more show up. This project will surely decrease number of children in the streets and provide them with rightful education and help them to become a responsible citizens of the nation. As parents are also supported, this project will surely give much love and happiness to street children’s families and help them to live a good and respectable life.